Thursday, December 31, 2009

The fall....

Well, the title kind of explains. Yesterday, I was leaving a site visit for work and slipped and fell in the icy parking lot. I had both hands full and wasn't able to catch myself. I got in the car and immediately started crying, after talking to the doctors office, to let them know what happened, they advised me to go to the hospital to be checked out. My mom and I arrived at the hospital around 5pm and again, they hooked me up to the monitors. Steve thankfully arrived shortly after they hooked me up, which made me feel much better.

Unfortunately, this time things didn't look as good, I was having pain (likely caused by the fall) but I was also having consistent, rhythmic contractions. I was scared to death. The good news was, the babies looked great! Both Sydney and Morgan were moving, hiccuping, kicking, and their heart rates looked fantastic. But there was the issue of the contractions...the doctor first tried having me drink about a liter of water over 20 minutes to see if the contractions would ease up, but they didn't. He came back in and explained that as a precaution, they were going to give me a dose of Betamethasone (steroid) to help develop the babies lungs and I was going to be given a dose of Terbutaline to hopefully stop the contractions. As long as they could get the contractions stopped, I could go home. They also sent me down to ultrasound to check my amniotic fluid levels and ensure the placentas weren't damaged during the fall. Thankfully, the ultrasound looked very good and the Terbutaline stopped the contractions within the first 5 minutes. I must say, modern medicine is AMAZING and God is surely watching over Steve, myself, and the girls. Although we didn't get home until 10pm, I was released!

Steve and I do have to go back to the hospital today for my second dose of Betamethasone. But right now, for the time being, I'm trying to stay inside and off my feet. Bummer news - we were issued a winter weather warning for more snow and freezing rain - looks like I'll be staying inside until the weather clears up (except for the trip to the hospital, but I'm sure I'll get curbside service from my dear husband)! I must say, I'm terrified to walk outside if there is a chance it could be slick, So it looks like I'll be relying on someone to walk with me or I'll get curbside service.


  1. I am so glad that you are okay and that the babies are okay too. How scary. I hope that things stay calm and the babies stay put for a while.

  2. Oh my goodness, I'm so glad everyone is okay. I can't imagine how nervous you must have been. I think of you guys often and can't wait to hear the news that they have arrived!!